Thursday, June 18, 2009

Road Trip

We'll be headed on a road trip to the east coast in a few days. Roundtrip = 42 hours in the minivan. Pray for us, friends. I'm a bit nervous about how this is going to go.

Oliver asked, "Mom, if we travel at night, which one of you is going to act nocturnal and drive the car?"

Nocturnal is apparently our word of the week.

Later in the week I was driving Oliver to my sister's house. We were going to help her pack suitcases for a flight to Ethiopia to bring her beautiful new son home. It was pouring rain and I noticed the side-vent windows of our minivan were open. "Oh geez," I said. "That wasn't my brightest move."

"What's a brightest move, Mom?" he asked.

"Your best idea."

"Do you know what is the best idea I ever had?"

"What?"

"Being with you."

And just when I didn't think I could hold an ounce more love for this beautiful boy, my sweet son, my heart grew three sizes larger. Just like that.

While my sister and her husband raced around doing last minute packing, Oliver said, "We know just how you feel. We made this trip before, right Mom? I know how my cousin feels: a little bit nervous and a lot excited. I will be able to help him when he gets home." On so many levels, this new little person in our family is going to be so good for us. We can't wait to welcome him home.

But not until we return from the aforementioned 42 hour roadtrip. Did I mention I'm hoping you'll PRAY FOR US? Yes? Thank you.